Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Puke For Pizza

Most coaches for any sport right before a big challenge would most likely give a small pep talk. Not our coach, he knew better then to bore us with a speech. He probably thought that it would bore us so bad we would be tired before the race. He wasn’t superstitious but he believed that every little thing contributes is some way. He would come up to us and start telling rowing stories from his day. My favorite one had to be when during a race, on his stroke a fish lifted out of the water, smacked his oar, and he launched it into the coxswains face. He had a million of them. I think that’s why he was different from any other coach.
He would motivate us in any way he could. The one phrase he said that I will never forget had to be “Puke for Pizza.” I won’t go into details but I’m sure you could figure it out. He knew what we liked and it was pizza. We would laugh at how he would try to pull the same routine with us on the women. His stories never really hit home on them than with us. They were motivated, but more disgusted judging by the look on their faces.
The greatest thing about my coach was that he connected with us all in one way or another. His humor is what got us through the day and through our races. All he wanted was us to try our hardest, win or lose.

2 comments:

Tabby said...

I really enjoyed your post. I too, enjoy coaches that don't just bore me with lectures, I like coaches that make things fun! Puke for pizza is a funny saying probably motivated you guys more. I really enjoyed how he you talked so highly of your coach. I also liked how you put in your favorite story that your coach told you!

Cap'n Fatback said...

Nice job, David. A concise but detailed post. Remember to put spaces betwen your paragrphs! Be prepared to link to outside sites from hereon out. 5/5