Thursday, April 19, 2007

Do It For The Love

People who have done a team sport know that it takes effort and teamwork; however, time commitment is the most important factor. You have to be willing to give up a portion of you time, your life if you will, to do certain sports. Sports teach you personal responsibility to your team but most of all to yourself. It is a must to keep yourself first. This is why I chose to quit crew when I got to college. Knowing the work load that I would be enduring my freshman year, I chose my career first.

This is similar to S L Kim and her blog Springtime Thoughts. She is in the same situation as I am. She used to be on a Crew team before she went to college. She expresses how the sport influenced her through descriptive writing. Though she quit the sport she loved and concentrated on school. As you read her blog she begins to question why people in college do sports knowing that they will be busy with school. Surprising coming from someone who understands how it is like to love a sport, don’t you think? She mentions how she asked someone “why don’t you just quit.” This upset me because this is being kind of hypocritical.

People in college today seem to be doing sports for two different reasons. Reason one, because they are on scholarship. Reason two, they enjoy doing the sport. I feel that a sport should be played because you enjoy participating in it. I feel that you get the most out of it this way.

3 comments:

JanelleTravels said...

Good post. Very interesting to read about your opinion on the topic. I knew people who were involved in all sorts of things in high school...baseball, football, basketball and they worked. I don't know how people do it. I feel busy enough with just school and work. Well and trying to find time to see my friends. I agree that people should be involved in sports because they enjoy it. Balancing sports and school is a lot harder in college because of all the work and studying that goes along with it. Good post.

Tabby said...

I can relate to this post a lot, I played softball since I was about six.I had the choice to go farther with it into college but I choose not to because it is so much time and effort. Although, when season came around I couldnt stand to be away from the softball field,so now I am now helping coach a middle school team. I guess its always the next best thing if your not playing.

Cap'n Fatback said...

Good post, David, although you don't actually have any text linked that I can find. You also need to add your list of classmates' blog links.

4/5 (link)