Friday, April 6, 2007

Why A Cult?

What might a cult be? There are many different definitions to the term. My personal definition of the word would be a group or organization on which stands out from society in its own way. If you were apart of the Westerville Rowing Club then you might know what I mean by this. To others it’s difficult to understand. Our little community was known to stand out from other clubs and sports. Personally to this day I really don’t understand fully why people considered our club to be a “cult”. Was it maybe our apparel? I mean to most people spandex are not the manliest thing to wear, but what about wrestlers? They have to physically touch each other when competing, we don’t. Was it mainly our slang that only Crew members could understand, but all teams have their inside jokes. Could it be that our club was coed? Well just because our men and women practiced at the same time doesn’t mean much to me. I really can’t think of much reason why. Perhaps it was the fact that we got new members weekly even though it is in the middle of the season? I don’t know I give up.
Since I have been in the club it seems that there was always attention brought to our club, positive and negative. No matter how small it is it seems to get blown out of proportion or misunderstood. Yea I will admit there have been some pretty bad times that brought negative attention to us, but no one is perfect, no team as a perfect roster. Though I will never understand exactly why we were portrayed the way we were; I ran out of ideas. I’m not quiet sure why we were considered a cult, and really I don’t care. All I have to say is that it was the best cult I have ever been in.

4 comments:

jessica myers said...

Great post!! I really liked how you challenged us to think about the term cult and what it could possibly mean. Im guessing that your rowing club was good at what they do, kind of how I felt about our ladies basketball squad. Rowing would be hard for me because I think it's something that is physically challenging. But given the right about of practice and tolerance it could be a great thing.

I think it's just that people like to have something to talk about but as long as you guys get along, row well together, and are in sync with each others team objectives, it doesn't matter what your called as long as you win.

Our girls team was doubted from day one. Called us all kind of unpleasant things that no one would ever want to be called. No matter how bad it got, we kept winning and let everyone know that hey, you can call us whatever you want, but whatever it is your saying we are, we're the best at what we do and there's nothing you can do or say to take that away.

I really wonder just what the reasoning might be, but then again maybe I would be sitting here all night trying to come up with some theory. Great post!

JanelleTravels said...

That was a good post. I'd never heard of your "cult" so it was interesting to read about it. Judging from what you said I'm not sure why it would be called a cult either. I'm not sure I have the upper body strength to be good at rowing, or really anything for that matter. I'm sure you get some pretty good speeds going too. Sounds fun, challenging to me, but fun.

Cap'n Fatback said...

Some good stuff here David (another good semi-colon), and some wonderful feedback as well. 5/5

The Nurse All Dressed In White said...

I've never heard of your "cult", but of coarse I'm not from the Westerville area. I thought your post was quite interesting.